Two-step Login via Email
Two-step Login using email is available for free to all Bitwarden users.
Setup Email Verification
Complete the following steps to enable Two-step Login using email:
Losing access to your Two-step Login linked email can permanently lock you out of your Vault, unless you write down and keep your Two-step Login Recovery Code in a safe place or have an alternate Two-step Login method enabled and available.
Get your Recovery Code from the Two-step Login screen immediately after enabling any method.
- Log in to your Web Vault.
- Select Settings from the top navigation bar.
- Select Two-step Login from the left-side menu.
Locate the Email option and select the Manage button:
You will be prompted to enter your Master Password to continue.
- Enter the email that you wish you receive verification codes and click the Send Email button.
Check your inbox for the 6 digit verification code. Enter the code in the dialog box in your Web Vault and select the Enable button.
Enabledmessage will indicate that Two-step Login via Email has been enabled.
- Select the Close button and confirm that the Email option is enabled, as indicated by a green checkbox ( ).
When you setup Two-step Login, you should logout of all your Bitwarden apps to immediately activate Two-step Login for each app. You will eventually be logged out automatically.
Use Email Verification
The following assumes that Email is your highest-priority enabled method. Complete the following steps to access your Vault using Two-step Login:
Log in to your Bitwarden Vault on any any app and enter your Email Address and Master Password.
You will be prompted to Enter the 6 digit verification code that was emailed to your configured email.
- Check your inbox for the 6 digit verification code. Enter this code on the Vault login screen.
- Select Continue to finish logging in.
You will not be required to complete your secondary Two-step Login step to Unlock your Vault once logged in. For help configuring Log Out vs. Lock behavior, see Vault Timeout Options.