Auto-fill Logins on iOS
Bitwarden makes your passwords available for auto-fill so that you can seamlessly log in to websites and apps while also maintaining strong and secure passwords. Auto-fill cuts the copying and pasting out of your login routine by detecting Vault items that match the service you’re logging in to.
Most auto-fill scenarios rely on the attribution of URIs to Login items. If you’re unfamiliar with using URIs, brush up using our Using URIs article.
Please note that custom fields are not currently supported in Mobile auto-fill.
Auto-fill on iOS
Auto-fill on iOS comes in two flavors:
- Keyboard Auto-fill: (Recommended) Use this option to make Bitwarden auto-fill accessible in any iOS app (including Web Browsers) through a keyboard button.
- Browser App Extension: Use this option to make Bitwarden auto-fill accessible only in Web Browser apps, like Safari, through the Share menu.
It is currently not possible to use auto-fill on iOS if the Vault Timeout Action for the device is set to Log Out and your only enabled Two-step Login Method requires NFC (e.g. an NFC YubiKey), as iOS will not allow NFC inputs to interrupt auto-fill workflows.
Either change your Vault Timeout Action to Lock, or enable another Two-step Login Method.
To enable keyboard auto-fill on iOS:
- Open the iOS Settings app on your device.
- Tap Passwords.
- Tap AutoFill Passwords.
Toggle AutoFill Passwords on and tap Bitwarden in the Allow Filling From list:
We highly recommend disabling any other Auto-fill service (like Keychain) in the Allow Filling From list before proceeding.
Let’s test auto-fill to make sure it’s working properly:
- Open an app or website that you’re not currently signed in to.
Tap the username or password field on the login screen. A keyboard will slide up with a matching Login (
my_username), or with a Passwords button:
If a matching Login is displayed, tap it to auto-fill. If the Passwords button is displayed, tap it to browse your Vault for the Login item to use.
If the Passwords button is displayed, it’s probably because there isn’t an item in your Vault with a matching URI.
Browser App Extension Auto-fill
To enable Browser App Extension auto-fill on iOS:
- Open your Bitwarden app and tap Settings.
- Tap the App Extension option in the Auto-fill section.
- Tap the Enable App Extension button.
From the share menu that slides up, tap Bitwarden.
Extension Activated!message will indicate success.
Let’s test the App Extension to make sure it’s working properly:
- Open your device’s web browser and navigate to a website that you’re not currently signed in to.
- Tap the Share icon.
Scroll down and tap the Bitwarden option:
If you have Unlock with Biometrics enabled, the first time you tap this option you will be prompted to verify your Master Password.
A Bitwarden screen will slide up on your device and will list matching Login items for the website. Tap the item to auto-fill.
If there are no Login items listed, it’s probably because there isn’t an item in your Vault with a matching URI.