License Paid Features
Self-hosting Bitwarden is free, however some features must be unlocked in your self-hosted instance with a registered license file. A license file can be obtained from the Bitwarden-hosted Web Vault by either an account with a Premium Individual subscription or by the Owner of a Families or Enterprise Organization.
For individual users, complete the following steps to retrieve and apply a license to your self-hosted instance:
- In the Bitwarden-hosted Web Vault, select Settings from the top navigation bar.
- Select Premium Membership from the left menu.
- Select the Download License button.
Log in in to your self-hosted Web Vault with an email address that matches the Bitwarden-hosted account from which you downloaded the license.
If you haven’t already, verify your email address before proceeding. You will need to have configured SMTP environment variables to do so, for more information see Configure Environment Variables.
- Select the Settings tab from the top navigation.
- Select Go Premium from the left menu.
- In the License File section, select the Browse… button and add your downloaded license file.
- Select the Submit button to finish applying your Premium License.
For Owners of an Organization, complete the following steps to retrieve and apply a license to your self-hosted instance:
- Log in to your Web Vault and open your Organization.
- In your Organization, open the Settings tab and select Subscription from the left menu.
On the Subscription screen, select the Download License button.
You will be prompted to enter an installation id. Enter the installation id that was used to install your self-hosted instance and select Submit.
You can retrieve your installation id from
./bwdata/env/global.override.envor, for more information, see Install and Deploy.
- Log in in to your self-hosted Web Vault.
Start a new Organization in your self-hosted instance by selecting the Add Organization button.
You will be prompted to upload a license file. Select the Browse button and add your downloaded license file.
Update a renewed Organization License
When your license expires and your Organization renews, you have 2 months to apply the updated license file to your self-hosted Organization. To apply the update your license, download the new license file (Steps 1-3 above) from the cloud-hosted Bitwarden Organization Vault.
Once downloaded, open your self-hosted Web Vault and update the license from the Organization Settings → Subscription page:
If you receive a
version not supported error message, you’ll need to update your server before proceeding. Make a backup or copy of the
bwdata directory, then follow these instructions.