Import Data from Password Safe
Use this article for help exporting data from Password Safe and importing into Bitwarden. Password Safe (V8) currently only supports exporting as
.csv file. Older versions also supported
Export from Password Safe
Complete the following steps to export data from the Password Safe Desktop App:
Open Password Safe 8 and open the Extras menu from the upper left corner.
Locate the Export option on the left-hand side and then choose Passwords.
- For the type please select
CSVand enter a path to save the exported file. Leave the encoding at UTF-8.
Click on the big gray arrow on the right to proceed to the export settings screen
- Set the separating character to Semicolon
- Set the text qualifier to
- Check the checkbox to keep the column headers
- Click Finish to start the export.
Please note that Password Safe will export a
.csvfor every category you have and not just a single
Prepare exported file before import
Currently we do not offer a specific importer for this type of file.
To prepare the exported file for import, please follow the instructions in this guide: Condition a Bitwarden .csv or .json
Import to Bitwarden
Complete the following steps to import data to your Bitwarden personal Vault (for help importing to an Organization Vault, see Import Items to an Organization):
- Log in to the Web Vault.
- Select Tools from the top navigation bar.
- Select Import Data from the left Tools menu.
- Select Bitwarden (csv) from the format dropdown.
- Select the Browse… button and select the file you prepared in a previous step.
- Select the Import Data button to complete your import.
Importing data multiple times will create duplicates.
Congratulations! You have just transferred your data from Password Safe into Bitwarden.