Import Data from Password Safe
Use this article for help exporting data from Password Safe and importing into Bitwarden. Password Safe (V8) currently only supports exporting as
.csv file. Older versions also supported
Export from Password Safe
Complete the following steps to export data from the Password Safe Desktop App:
Open Password Safe 8 and open the Extras menu from the upper left corner.
Locate the Export option on the left-hand side and then choose Passwords.
- For the type please select
CSVand enter a path to save the exported file. Leave the encoding at UTF-8.
Click on the big gray arrow on the right to proceed to the export settings screen
- Set the separating character to Semicolon
- Set the text qualifier to
- Check the checkbox to keep the column headers
- Click Finish to start the export.
Please note that Password Safe will export a
.csvfor every category you have and not just a single
Prepare exported file before import
Currently we do not offer a specific importer for this type of file.
To prepare the exported file for import, please follow the instructions in this guide: Condition a Bitwarden .csv or .json
Import to Bitwarden
- In the Web Vault, select Tools from the top navigation bar.
- Select Import Data from the left-hand Tools menu.
From the format dropdown, choose a Bitwarden (csv).
Select the Choose File button and add the file to import or copy/paste the contents of your file into the input box.
Import to Bitwarden can’t check whether items in the file to import are duplicative of items in your Vault. This means that importing multiple files will create duplicative Vault items if an item is already in the Vault and in the file to import.
- Select the Import Data button to complete your import.
- After successful import, delete the import source file from your computer. This will protect you in the event your computer is compromised.
Currently, file attachments are not included in Bitwarden import operations and will need to be uploaded to your Vault manually. For more information, see File Attachments.