The Bitwarden Blog
Bitwarden Announces Integrated Password Security with Identity-based SSO
August 4th, 2020
Bitwarden, the open source password manager for organizations and individuals, today announced the highly anticipated Login with Single Sign-On (SSO) capability will be available in September 2020.
The Bitwarden Login with SSO feature integrates password security with identity-based single sign-on. Now users can authenticate through their existing identity provider and gain access to all Bitwarden password management capabilities. This security feature also introduces new advantages for administrators and end-users:
- Simplifies platform access for employees
- Standardizes logging in with work credentials
- Allows secure user onboarding and succession
- Leverages any existing multi-factor authentication
Bitwarden Login with SSO gives organizations the ultimate flexibility for identity management by integrating with any existing SSO solution that uses SAML 2.0 or OpenID Connect.
The new feature will be included on an updated Enterprise Plan. With this coming release, Bitwarden is updating subscription plans to incorporate more functionality and value for all users. For more information about Plan features and pricing, read here.
Single sign-on (SSO) is a user authentication service to access SaaS applications. With SSO, employees are able to use one set of credentials, such as a username and password, to securely access multiple applications. To work with SSO systems, applications must support an SSO integration protocol.
While SSO support is common for enterprise SaaS applications, many online services do not support SSO. To access these online services securely, employees must devise their own methods to keep passwords safe, creating potential threats and hidden vulnerabilities. Password management solutions close this gap.
With Bitwarden Login with SSO, enterprises apply their existing single sign-on security controls to access password-based applications in the Bitwarden Vault, and as a result, employees gain end-to-end password protection for all of their online experiences.
Bitwarden Login with SSO delivers the secure foundation enterprises need for employees to operate efficiently and safely online.
Unlike other password managers that have no SSO integration, or that force businesses to use proprietary SSO services and identity solutions, Bitwarden allows companies to unite password management with existing, standards-based identity access solutions.
This integration delivers the best of both worlds as enterprises conveniently extend their identity management while deploying password management to everyone.
While login with SSO is a key reason to use Bitwarden, there are many other notable advantages.
- Open-source: Bitwarden takes an open source approach to enhance user trust, offering transparency and easy scrutiny to validate code quality. Open source software also sets the foundation for a vibrant and engaged Bitwarden community.
- Self-host option: Select industries and companies need self-hosted solutions for security or compliance. Bitwarden offers self-hosting on-premises or in a private cloud.
- Cross-platform functionality: Bitwarden supports all major browsers, operating systems, and mobile devices, along with a command line interface and robust API for developers.
- Complete Cloud offering: Enterprise users can implement Bitwarden as a cloud service, including the Login with SSO feature, with the assurance that all data is secured with end-to-end encryption.
To learn more about Bitwarden, or to get started with an organization or individual account, visit bitwarden.com.
Back to Blog