Extension won't load in Firefox's private mode
The Bitwarden browser extension does not completely function in Firefox’s private browsing mode. This is a known issue specific only to Firefox. You will see a message indicating so when you try to open the Bitwarden popup window in a private window. We have discussed the problem with Mozilla, however, they seem unable to fix it so that extensions like Bitwarden can function entirely in private mode.
There are currently 3 workarounds for auto-filling a login while in Firefox’s private browsing mode:
- Use the right-click context menu:
- Navigate to the website’s login page while browsing in a private window.
- Right click the page. A context menu will appear.
- Select Bitwarden → Auto-fill and then pick your login.
Copy/paste your login credentials by accessing your Vault in the popup from a regular, non-private browsing window.
- Use the keyboard shortcut for auto-filling a login (CTRL + SHIFT + L by default on Windows, CMD + SHIFT + L by default on Mac)
- GitHub discussion: https://github.com/bitwarden/browser/issues/136
- Firefox Bugzilla report: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1329304