Senior Database Engineer
at Bitwarden in Engineering
Bitwarden empowers enterprises, developers, and individuals to securely store and share sensitive data. With a transparent, open-source approach to password management, secrets management, and passwordless and passkey innovations, Bitwarden makes it easy for users to extend robust security practices across all online activities. Founded in 2016 with headquarters in Santa Barbara, California, Bitwarden is supported by a passionate global community of security experts and enthusiasts.
As a Senior Database Engineer at Bitwarden you will work with our Engineering teams to lead the design, development, and continual tuning and maintenance of our database systems. You will serve as a technical leader for database query design and the optimization of our existing queries, scripts, and programs. You will support the software development process and contribute directly to the culture of quality within Bitwarden through process improvements, team outreach, and mentoring. To ensure success as a Senior Database Engineer, you should exhibit knowledge of best practices in database management and experience in a similar role. A top-notch Senior Database Engineer will be someone whose database management skills translate into the efficient flow of information throughout an organization.
This is an all-remote team and US time zones are preferred. We do not offer visa sponsorship at this time.
- Maintaining and enhancing the performance of existing database scripts, queries, and other database objects.
- Leading engineering teams in designing new database implementations that meet the organization's data security, storage, and performance needs.
- Tuning existing database scripts and queries for optimal performance and data security.
- Establishing database observability practices and monitoring databases and related systems to ensure optimized performance alongside operations staff.
- Partnering with other engineers to develop new scripts and queries that support company growth.
- Reviewing database and user reports as well as system information.
- Performing debugging procedures on database scripts and systems, including as a part of incident response.
- Mentoring engineers and providing them with technical support.
- Adhering to best practices in securely accessing, storing, backing up, and archiving data.
- Documenting processes related to database design, configuration, and performance.
- Keeping abreast of developments and best practices in database engineering.
- Participating in code reviews and learning and spreading technical knowledge amongst the engineering organization.
- Actively participating in backlog grooming, planning, and delivery activities as needed to support engineering teams’ database work.
- Becoming an expert and authority on the entire Bitwarden product, including: backend infrastructure, APIs, database, web app, mobile apps, browser extensions, desktop apps, and more.
WHAT YOU BRING TO BITWARDEN
- A minimum of 5 years experience in database engineering.
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server and T-SQL.
- Advanced knowledge of other RDBMS systems such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc.
- Extensive experience with cloud database technologies and architecture.
- Sound knowledge of best practices in cloud database engineering and data security.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Exceptional problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills.
- Proficiency using source control such as Git.
- Excitement and enthusiasm for helping customers solve security and password challenges.
- Zeal for learning and desire to develop yours, your peers’, and your team’s skills.
- Bachelor's degree in information systems, information technology, computer science, or similar.
- User of Bitwarden.
- Open source experience.
- Hands-on software development experience.
- Experience leading cross-functional, multi-discipline teams.
WHAT TO EXPECT IN THE INTERVIEW PROCESS
Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call and then progress through the following stages:
- Panel interview with Engineering Managers
- Interview with the VP of Engineering & Principal Architect
A FEW REASONS TO WORK WITH US
- Our user community loves us and we love them. Come to work each day with a sense of
- purpose as we bring a more secure internet experience to everyone from our friends and family to the world’s largest organizations.
- Become an expert. You’ll get immersed in the prominent technology markets of security and open source software.
- We are dedicated to building an incredible team. Work remotely with motivated and innovative team members and take part in productive and fun meetups.
- Learn and grow. Take on new challenges with the support of your team, and join our #growth-club to continue personal and professional development.
- At Bitwarden, we are passionate about what we do, but not necessarily everything we do. Our engineering team makes it a policy to carve out some time for personal growth, learning, skill building and pursuing personal passions that positively impact the team and company. To ensure that everyone has time to reaffirm their purpose and grow, you are encouraged to self-direct up to 15% of your week to what you feel is important for the company and for yourself.
A note to outside sourcers: we do not accept solicitations from recruiters, recruiting agencies, headhunters, or outsourcing organizations and request to be removed from all such contact lists.