Cloud Operations Engineer
at Bitwarden in Engineering
Bitwarden promotes better internet security and safety with an open source password management solution for individuals, teams, and business organizations.
As a Cloud Operations Engineer at Bitwarden, you will directly contribute to the operational success and growth of the Bitwarden team and product through cloud technology. We’re looking for someone who can own the current and future state of our cloud infrastructure distributed across multiple PaaS providers, design and build out new infrastructure, as well as operationalize tools and technologies that enable our team and application to scale. You’ll be evaluating our current cloud environments, making recommendations in infrastructure design, identifying opportunities for cost optimization, and helping to roll out the future of our cloud offering all while building the necessary capabilities such as monitoring, alerts, and automation that help us scale our operations up and out.
This is a globally distributed remote team and we are currently looking for team members in EMEA & US time zones.
- Take ownership of the Bitwarden cloud infrastructure
- Evaluate current infrastructure and, on a regular basis, make recommendations for improvements, cost management, and scalability
- Operationalize the Bitwarden cloud infrastructure to ensure supportability as we expand to other regions and countries such as the EU
- Implement site reliability tools, monitoring, early warning and alert systems, and performance measurement across the Bitwarden cloud
- Collaborate with DevOps, Development and IT to assist with infrastructure and security changes necessary to accommodate new application functionality and scaling needs
- Respond to infrastructure based outages; devise and maintain a strategy for 24x7 support (There is an on-call rotation)
- Create and maintain infrastructure design and implementation documentation to include diagrams such as data ingress/egress, topology, security, server/service and others as needed
- Participate in code reviews, learning and spreading technical knowledge
- Contribute and mature incident management/escalation processes
- Collaborate with stakeholders to balance technical and business outcomes
- Contribute to IaC and participate in deployments
- Work with product owners to define/measure SLI/SLOs
- Work with cloud native technologies, applying latest best practices
- Work collaboratively to continually improve DORA metrics
What you bring to Bitwarden
- Natural sense of curiousity
- Expertise with multi-region deployments in a public cloud environment
- Experience with cloud deployment and automation tools (i.e. GitOps, Terraform)
- Proficiency using source control such as Git, TFS, etc.
- Ability to maintain discretion, handle sensitive information, and maintain security best-practices
- Technocrat at heart, staying current with trends and new technologies
- Collaborative and adaptable mindset
- Openness and authenticity combined with excellent communication skills
- Excitement and enthusiasm for open source and for better internet security
- Excellent problem-solving skills – you might not know all the answers, but you know how to find and communicate the possible solutions
- User of Bitwarden
- Startup experience
- Open source experience
- Experience with Kubernetes Administration
- Experience with database administration
What to Expect in the Interview Process
Selected candidates will be invited to schedule an introduction call with our Recruiting Manager and progress through the following stages:
- Interview with our Cloud Operations Manager
- Interview with engineering teammates
- Interview with VP of Engineering
- Reference calls
- Interview with CEO
Successful candidates will be asked to authorize and complete a background check after an offer is made. We do not discriminate based on having a criminal record and we encourage candidates to be open with us about anything that may come up on the report so we can discuss in advance and determine impact on the role and company.
A Few Reasons to Work with us
- Our user community loves us and we love them. Come to work each day with a sense of purpose as we bring a more secure internet experience to everyone––from our friends and family to the world’s largest organizations.
- Become an expert in a growing market. You’ll get immersed in the prominent technology markets of security and open source software.
- Learn and grow professionally. Embrace the opportunity to build up your demand generation and product-led growth expertise in a fast-growing startup.
- We are dedicated to building a diverse and talented team. Work remotely with motivated and supportive team members across the world and take part in productive and fun meetups.
We recognize and understand that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job. If you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications for the position, you should still consider applying. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and excellence; therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. Please let us know if you require accommodations during the interview process.