Director of DevOps & Infrastructure
at Bitwarden in Engineering
Bitwarden empowers enterprises, developers, and individuals to securely store and share sensitive data. With a transparent, open-source approach to password management, secrets management, and passwordless and passkey innovations, Bitwarden makes it easy for users to extend robust security practices across all online activities. Founded in 2016 with headquarters in Santa Barbara, California, Bitwarden is supported by a passionate global community of security experts and enthusiasts.
As the Director of DevOps & Infrastructure, you will lead a team of highly-collaborative and results-oriented engineering team members tasked with delivering global technology services focusing on Development Operations and Cloud Operations. You will be in charge of scaling, increasing performance, direction setting and providing great team member experience in order to help drive forward business success based on world class infrastructure & operations.
We’re looking for someone who is a self-starter with highly technical skills overlapping our cloud infrastructure and code deployment capabilities. The right candidate will have hands-on technical team leadership experience working with systems at our scale of millions of requests per day and the need to deploy code to a variety of client systems with little or no downtime. Additionally, the right candidate will have led globally distributed teams.
This is an all-remote team and we need someone who can have some overlap with the US Eastern time zone. We do not offer visa sponsorship at this time.
- Create cloud operations and development operations roadmaps
- Lead the CloudOps and DevOps managers to create, prioritize, and validate initiatives for their respective areas
- Ensure alignment of cloud & development operations tools with industry best practices and evolving requirements of the internal and external facing Bitwarden systems
- Work with the CloudOps and DevOps teams to provide operational expertise and guidance for infrastructure and code deployments
- Establish strong working relationships with other technical teams and business stakeholders
- Provide strategic leadership for the ongoing analysis and optimization of cloud-deployed workloads for performance, availability, and cost
- Provide strategic leadership for teams as they develop automated solutions to drive continuous integration and continuous delivery mechanisms to solve sophisticated business problems and to deploy innovative products, services, and experiences
- Provide excellent problem solving, communication and teamwork skills, along with agile ways of working, strong business insight, an inclusive leadership attitude and a continuous learning focus
- Ensure scalable build, test, and delivery of software solutions through DevOps automated and manual methodologies
- Build rapport with each member of the Cloud and Development Operations teams and work with the managers of the respective teams to support them through coaching and mentorship to help level up their leadership skills
- Define and track key metrics for productivity
WHAT YOU BRING TO BITWARDEN
- 10+ years of IT management and leadership experience
- 5+ years’ experience in IT operations management, focusing on delivery processes, infrastructure, and support.
- SaaS experience: Expert level understanding of tools like Google Workspace, Okta, Zoom, Slack etc.
- InfoSec experience - partnering with internal information security and compliance teams. SOX experience is a plus.
- Exposure to delivery process automation, RPA, ML, and AI basics.
- Proven ability to effectively lead and meet business objectives in a global, collaborative and high performance work environment.
- Change management knowledge and ability to operate effectively in a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated experience in vendor management and capacity planning in a fast growth environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to build teams quickly and recruit top talent
- Exceptional management and mentorship skills
- Ability to manage and drive up the quality of your teams' work
- Collaborative and adaptable mindset
- Demonstrated longevity and a track record of success at multiple organizations
- Experience working remotely and managing a distributed team
- User of Bitwarden
- Open source experience
- Mobile application & browser extension experience
WHAT TO EXPECT IN THE INTERVIEW PROCESS
Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call and then the following stages:
- Interview with VP of Engineering
- Interview with CloudOps and DevOps managers
- Cross-departmental interview
- Interview with CTO
A FEW REASONS TO WORK WITH US
- Our user community loves us and we love them. Come to work each day with a sense of purpose as we bring a more secure internet experience to everyone from our friends and family to the world’s largest organizations.
- Become an expert. You’ll get immersed in the prominent technology markets of security and open source software.
- We are dedicated to building a diverse and talented team. Work remotely with motivated and supportive team members across the world and take part in productive and fun meetups.
- Learn and grow. Take on new challenges with the support of your team, and join our #growth-club to continue personal and professional development.
We recognize and understand that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job. If you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications for the position, you should still consider applying. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and excellence; therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. Please let us know if you require accommodations during the interview process.
A note to outside sourcers: We do not accept solicitations from recruiters, recruiting agencies, headhunters, or outsourcing organizations. Please remove us from all such contact lists.