Director of Design, Product
at Bitwarden in Product
Bitwarden empowers enterprises, developers, and individuals to securely store and share sensitive data. With a transparent, open-source approach to password management, secrets management, and passwordless and passkey innovations, Bitwarden makes it easy for users to extend robust security practices across all online activities. Founded in 2016 with headquarters in Santa Barbara, California, Bitwarden is supported by a passionate global community of security experts and enthusiasts.
As Director of Design at Bitwarden, you will lead a team of designers that help shape and define the UI and UX of Bitwarden applications used by millions of people every day. We’re looking for someone who can radiate strong design skills throughout the team as a hands-on leader and individual contributor. You will serve the Product and Engineering organizations with development efforts as well as recommend and implement improvements to existing user flows and designs.
This is an all-remote team. We are looking for someone who resides in the US. This position reports directly to the Founder and CTO.
- Provide design leadership across the entire organization
- Define the design language across Bitwarden products
- Create low-fidelity wireframes as well as higher fidelity prototypes for product-driven initiatives as well as potential product investments
- Understand customer journeys and use cases in order to identify design opportunities, provide design feedback, and ultimately improve existing user journeys across all clients and platforms
- Iterate on code review processes involving design implementations, to enforce correctness and standardization
- Implement, adjust, and commit code for UI HTML/CSS within existing Bitwarden applications
- Build a team vision and strategy for the success and growth of Design at Bitwarden.
- With feedback from the team, leadership and external stakeholders, own the process, procedures and decision support for product design and delivery
- Facilitate and encourage collaboration through team meetings or other communication channels as necessary
- Conduct one-on-one meetings with direct reports to work on issues, provide and receive feedback and discuss individual professional development goals and opportunities
- Perform annual or semi-annual performance reviews when required
WHAT YOU BRING TO BITWARDEN
- Strong understanding of industry design patterns and trends for web, desktop, and mobile platforms
- Strong visual UI design stills
- Expertise across the product design lifecycle including user research, user experience and interaction patterns, information architecture, and visual UI design.
- Proficiency using source control such as Git, SVN, Subversion, TFS, etc.
- Leadership skills:
- Ability to inspire and provide vision direction
- Experience building and growing successful teams
- Management experience from a previous design position
- Propensity towards leadership and mentoring
- Interpersonal skills:
- Ability to form good relationships with other leaders in the company
- A strong sense of empathy and the ability to advocate for others
- Collaborative and adaptable mindset
- Openness and authenticity combined with excellent communication skills
- Analytical skills:
- Strength in evaluating the success of Bitwarden in reaching its goals and ensuring each strategic goal is measurable
- Excellent problem-solving skills – you might not know all the answers, but you know how to find and communicate the solution
- Excitement and enthusiasm for open source and for better internet security
- An online portfolio or samples of work demonstrating a range of artifacts developed in creating UI/UX solutions.
WHAT TO EXPECT IN THE INTERVIEW PROCESS
Selected candidates will be invited to schedule an introduction call and potentially progress through the following stages:
- Interview with CTO
- Interview/s with team members
- Reference calls
- Interview with CEO
A FEW REASONS TO WORK WITH US
- Our user community loves us and we love them. Come to work each day with a sense of purpose as we bring a more secure internet experience to everyone from our friends and family to the world’s largest organizations.
- Become an expert. You’ll get immersed in the prominent technology markets of security and open source software.
- We are dedicated to building a diverse and talented team. Work remotely with motivated and supportive team members across the world and take part in productive and fun meetups.
- Learn and grow. Take on new challenges with the support of your team, and join our #growth-club to continue personal and professional development.
We recognize and understand that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job. If you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications for the position, you should still consider applying. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and excellence; therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. Please let us know if you require accommodations during the interview process.
A note to outside sourcers: We do not accept solicitations from recruiters, recruiting agencies, headhunters, or outsourcing organizations. Please remove us from all such contact lists.