Cloud Operations Engineer
at Bitwarden in Engineering
Bitwarden promotes better internet security and safety with an open source password management solution for individuals, teams, and business organizations.
As a Cloud Operations Engineer at Bitwarden, you will directly contribute to the operational success and growth of the Bitwarden team and product through cloud technology. We’re looking for someone who can own the current and future state of our cloud infrastructure distributed across multiple PaaS providers, design and build out new infrastructure, as well as operationalize tools and technologies that enable our team and application to scale. You’ll be evaluating our current cloud environments, making recommendations in infrastructure design, identifying opportunities for cost optimization, and helping to roll out the future of our cloud offering all while building the necessary capabilities such as monitoring, alerts, and automation that help us scale our operations up and out.
Bitwarden is an all-remote team, and we are looking for someone who can work remotely during the UTC +7 or 8 time zones.
- Take ownership of the Bitwarden cloud infrastructure
- Evaluate current infrastructure and, on a regular basis, make recommendations for improvements, cost management, and scalability
- Operationalize the Bitwarden cloud infrastructure to ensure supportability as we expand to other regions and countries such as the EU
- Implement site reliability tools, monitoring, early warning and alert systems, and performance measurement across the Bitwarden cloud
- Collaborate with DevOps, Development and IT to assist with infrastructure and security changes necessary to accommodate new application functionality and scaling needs
- Respond to infrastructure based outages; devise and maintain a strategy for 24x7 support
- Create and maintain infrastructure design and implementation documentation to include diagrams such as data ingress/egress, topology, security, server/service and others as needed from time to time
- Manage Bitwarden’s DNS, CDN, and edge protection via Cloudflare
WHAT YOU BRING TO BITWARDEN
- Cloud technologies:
- Ground up design and implementation of cloud environments using Microsoft Azure, including networks, security infrastructure, databases, application and container services, and organization of cloud assets
- Azure and cloud infrastructure best practices and operations, monitoring and maintenance
- Experience with managing networking, load balancing and firewall configuration to secure networks and prevent intrusion and data extrusion
- Understanding of and hands-on experience with site reliability tools, infrastructure monitoring and evaluation, APM
- Administration skills:
- Use of scripting languages such as Powershell, bash, or Python
- Proficiency with Linux
- General web server and application server administration, e.g. Nginx, IIS, etc.
- Implementation and use of Azure AD or Active Directory
- SSL certificate management experience including managed KMS and key rotation strategies
- Experience managing DNS, CDN, DDoS prevention and edge networking safeguards and services such as Cloudflare
- Ability to maintain discretion, handle sensitive information, and maintain security best-practices
- Technocrat at heart, staying current with trends and new technologies
- Collaborative and adaptable mindset
- Openness and authenticity combined with excellent communication skills
- Excitement and enthusiasm for open source and for better internet security
- Excellent problem-solving skills – you might not know all the answers, but you know how to find and communicate the solutions
- User of Bitwarden
- Startup experience
- Open source experience
- Experience with Kubernetes Administration
- Proficiency using source control such as Git, SVN, Subversion, TFS, etc.
- Microsoft Azure Certified
- Infrastructure as code (IaC) experience using Terraform
WHAT TO EXPECT IN THE INTERVIEW PROCESS
Selected candidates will be invited to schedule an introduction call and potentially progress through the following stages:
- Interview with the hiring manager
- Interview with engineering teammates
- Interview with engineering leadership
- Reference calls
- Interview with CEO
Successful candidates will be asked to authorize and complete a background check after an offer is made. We do not discriminate based on having a criminal record and we encourage candidates to be open with us about anything that may come up on the report so we can discuss in advance and determine impact on the role and company.
A FEW REASONS TO WORK WITH US
- Our user community loves us and we love them. Come to work each day with a sense of purpose as we bring a more secure internet experience to everyone from our friends and family to the world’s largest organizations.
- Become an expert. You’ll get immersed in the prominent technology markets of security and open source software.
- We are dedicated to building a diverse and talented team. Work remotely with motivated and supportive team members across the world and take part in productive and fun meetups.
- Learn and grow. Take on new challenges with the support of your team, and join our #growth-club to continue personal and professional development. Our engineering team makes it a policy to carve out some time for personal growth, learning, skill building and pursuing personal passions that positively impact the team and company. To ensure that everyone has time to reaffirm their purpose and grow, you are encouraged to self-direct up to 15% of your week to what you feel is important for the company and for yourself.
We recognize and understand that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job. If you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications for the position, you should still consider applying. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and excellence; therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. Please let us know if you require accommodations during the interview process.
A note to outside sourcers: We do not accept solicitations from recruiters, recruiting agencies, headhunters, or outsourcing organizations. Please remove us from all such contact lists.